Who You Gonna Call? A Guide For Dealing with Bears, Burglars, Barking Dogs

With a new security service in place for the reserve and with ongoing complaints about wildlife and domestic dogs, we’ve prepared this list of phone numbers for reporting incidents where people may be at risk.

Human Security

As reported in our Aug. 31 newsletter, Western Elite Security is now conducting nighttime patrols of the reserve, four nights a week.

Phone: 1-778-773-2484
Email: info@westernelite.ca.

Constable Mike Martin is our First Nations Police Officer with the RCMP. Feel free to contact him with any non-emergency concerns, including asking for information about conditions placed on people who’ve been released from prison.

Phone: 250-286-6221.

As always, emergencies and any time-sensitive matters should be reported to 9-1-1. These include situations such as suspected illegal drug dealing.

Dangerous Wildlife in Urban Settings

Report wildlife-human interactions where public safety may be at risk to the Report All Poachers and Polluters (RAPP) hotline. The RAPP program is a toll-free, 24/7 tip line and online service that also allows you to report known or suspected violations of fisheries, wildlife, or environmental protection laws anonymously and without risk of confronting the offender.

Phone:  1-877-952-7277 (RAPP)
Email Conservation.Officer.Service@gov.bc.ca

For violations related to salmon, contact Fisheries and Oceans Canada at 1-800-465-4336.

Nuisance Dogs

Dogs running at large or barking for long periods are a common complaint on the reserve. The Band’s Animal Control Bylaw  prohibits people from letting their dogs run at large. Vicious or habitually noisy dogs are not allowed and owners are required to immediately remove their dog’s excrement from public property. The Band contracts with Coastal Animal Control Services to respond to animal control complaints.

Phone:     1-888-754-1397 (this line is monitored 24 hours)
Email:      cranimalcontrol@shaw.ca